The impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) is far-ranging across the world and will affect hospitality businesses like coffee shops and cafes because of the fear of it spreading in a social setting.
We recorded a Facebook live video with some practical ideas on how you can mitigate the risk to your existing business or you are if you are still in the planning stages what you need to build into your plans.
- Have a contingency fund of at least 1 months sales or 20% of your overall budget
- Landlords will be more flexible with the level of rent they want
- Keep rent agreed to below 10% of sales
- Negotiate power contracts regularly
- Join www.startupacoffeeshop.com for more support and advice pre opening
Start up a coffee shop
Open and trading
- Lead from the front, be a role model and give clear instruction to the team
- Have a plan with your team so they are all on the same message as you
- Speak to suppliers and Landlords and ask for extended credit - do not wait until you default before getting in touch
- Apply for the Govenment grants (£3000 UK)
- Contact your local authority for a rates reduction/suspension
- Talk to your team about taking time off/reducing hours
- Implement a smaller simpler menu you can produce with limited staff
- Offer emergency services and carers a discount
- Start a handwashing station and invite people in to wash hands
- Keep an eye on industry trends - Starbucks are no longer accepting reusable cups
- Make sure you are using the correct cleaning chemicals for the appropriate jobs
- Don't run out of cleaning products
- Manage the return of dirty plates and cups to the counter or wash area to eliminate cross-contamination with clean items or food preparation.
- Talk to your bank for an overdraft facility
Some Examples of Customer Notices
The wellbeing of staff and the public is of utmost importance, so we’re adding new safety measures so you can continue to enjoy great coffee both at home and in our cafes. Here’s how we’re acting...
• Indefinitely, we will not accept reusable mugs from customers. We will return our ‘bring your own mug’ program as so as it’s safe to do so.
• Indefinitely, we will not accept cash transactions. We will accept credit, debit and loyalty points via the Pilot Coffee app.
• Reduced seating capacity at most cafe locations.
• Enhanced sanitation protocol for staff, including gloves for food handlers, and cleaning bathrooms hourly. To say ‘thanks’ for your continued support as these cafe changes take effect, we are offering 10% off brewing gear & coffee bags at our online shop.
Let’s all do our part to stay safe and healthy!
To request to join the start-up coffee shop group on Facebook click here
While you are here, have a look at these articles...
The power of Gift Vouchers Do you sell gift voucher for your coffee shop or cafe? Se
Coffee Shop Curb Appeal
Coffee Shop Kerb Appeal
Flat White Gets Bigger
The publics' love of the Flat White grows by the day. Coffee drinkers love a Flat White. The artisa
Coffee Shop Pricing Survey
Food service price inflation, i.e. what cafes and coffee shops pay for their ingredients hit 9.8% in
Why the Wait
Having a queue in your coffee shop or cafe is a beautiful thing to behold, but according to the late